How to get the most out of your nursing lecture

October 5, 2016


Nursing school, for me, was only a few months ago. I can still remember the struggle of having a 60+ page syllabus for my psych nursing class. I can remember getting a 71%


on my first med-surg nursing exam. (which is failing since it is below the 75% passing line.) I can remember the first time I inserted a foley into the vagina instead of the urethra opening (& I still have trouble). All these experiences have made me into the nurse I am today. Yes, I am still shy and unsure of my skills, but I am becoming more and more confident. 

Nursing school is hard. There is no doubt about it, but there are also many steps you can take to ensure you succeed or do the very best you can. One of those is making sure you are getting the most out of your lecture. 

The first thing you should do before even attending a lecture is to know what material you will be going over. I know nursing books are long and dry. I am not saying that you have to read the 50 page chapter. What I mean is have a look at the key terms, look at the charts, look at the pictures. Previewing the content will help familiarize yourself with the material. That way when the professor begins discussing post-op care for an bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy, you might actually jot the information down instead of being stuck trying to spell the word or figure out what the heck she/he just said. 

The next thing may not always be possible, but try and get as much sleep as possible the night before so that you are wide awake during 0730 lecture. Since that is not always possible, grab an energy drink or just some coffee to perk you up. Or opt for some energy tea. 

Make sure you sit in the front during lectures. Not only will it be more difficult to doze off, but you are also more likely to engage in the material. When you sit in the back, it is easy to get distracted. Class time is precious.

Lastly, review you notes immediately following class. This not only helps to keep the information active in your brain, but if you notice something is still a little fuzzy, you have the chance to ask your professor now instead of right before the exam. I always found that more often than not professors were more willing to hint at what was not going to be on the exam that was covered during the lecture when I went to their office hours following the lecture. 

So there you have it! Here are my simple tips for getting the most out of your nursing school lectures. 

What do you do to stay active during class? Leave a comment down below.



Post a Comment

Leave your comments here. All comments are reviewed and posted within 48 hours.

Latest Instagrams

© Mighty Nurse Megan. Design by FCD.